Summer Youth Camp 2013 - Our Future

Sunday 28 October 2007

News from abroad...


Brother Russell Winfield was with us for a year from last September, and as he continues his work for the Moravian Church overseas, we hear from him on his arrival in Cape Town, South Africa…



Dear Labrador Friends,

Hello from Cape Town, my home for the next twelve months!

I miss being in Labrador a lot – it doesn’t seem long ago that I was just settling in Makkovik and dressing as a pumpkin for Halloween parties. It will seem strange this winter not having the snow, in fact we are just moving into summer here, and not getting to spend Christmas in Makkovik, Easter in Hopedale or seeing the ice break up in Nain will be sad, I do terribly miss being there with you all.

Below I have tried to outline a little bit of what has been happening over the last few weeks…

District Six, Cape Town

Cape Town is beautiful – I am living in an area called District Six, which has had a tumultuous history following the forced relocation of non-whites during apartheid into townships, and now is undergoing the slow process of land being returned to the people who were forcibly removed, and homes rebuilt. No homes survived as they were all bulldozed, and indeed one of the few original building that remains is the Church that I am working for. The Church is on the left of the picture, and then on the right is the house I am staying in, that was formally a Church manse, but is now used as a B&B, it is a lovely place for me to stay.

District Six as an area is itself somewhat of a paradox. During the day all is relatively calm and peaceful, however I am unable to go outside in an evening. This I guess is true of many parts of Cape Town, but there is an element of danger here that I have not experienced before. Travelling on the trains is also not to be done, nor are the buses particularly safe! What this means is that I am now exploring the option of purchasing a car, which will help with my own travels but also with the youth and the older people in the Church.

My work

My work here is varied but my role here for the next twelve months is threefold:
1. Provide pastoral leadership for the District Six Church
2. Develop a vision for outreach with the Technical College (situated next door)
3. Explore and develop the concept to use the facilities in District Six as a training centre to learn about mission and missional imagination in the context of Cape Town.

Well that’s what they tell me anyway. It all seems quite daunting to be honest!

What it has meant in the first few weeks is that I have begun to try and establish links with the young people in the area, attending youth groups and events, to evaluate what work is already taking place. I have also begun the process of identify what other organisations and work is ongoing so that we can support that and not duplicate anyone else’s work. I am keen to get involved with social justice related projects, such as homelessness, as I feel this is important for both the Church to be active in and also for the wider community to be passionate about. It will be interesting to see how things develop and I am very much in God’s service as I do not have a clue!

On Saturday the Church suggested it would be beneficial to attend the Women’s Conference about 90 minutes drive outside of Cape Town, so off I went. The clue was in the title of the conference really – I arrived to be the only man but they seemed pleased enough to see me, all 212 (two hundred and twelve!!) of them, and I had an enjoyable time learning about the work they have been doing. One of the challenges that I face the world over is introducing myself – my pronunciation of R’s is obviously not what it should be and so invariably I become “Wilson” or “Whistle” or “Roger”! As I vaguely attempt saying my name a third or fourth time to some confused person I can see them begin to glaze over and so they opt for just using my surname – which is usually adapted to “Winfred” or “Wilford”. All in all it means I have to be pretty alert to anyone calling my name as I have a number of pseudonyms!

Cooking

The weather is hot here, well after 12 months in Labrador most things seem hot I guess, and not to be outdone – I have begun cooking somewhat disastrously ‘hot’ meals. Now I am not the next masterchef by any stretch of the imagination but I have begun branching out slightly. I started with a simple beef stir fry which was nice but a bit plain, until I discovered something called Chilli Atchar – which sounded like it would do the trick, so I bought a jar and chucked about a quarter in with my stir fry. Reading the ingredients told me the main ingredient was green chilli’s, and for any accomplished chef this may have set the alarm bells ringing. Sadly I am no accomplished chef. I tucked in and it seemed to have a bit of oomph to begin with, and then it just went downhill. My mouth felt like it had just exploded and my eyes began to water, I persisted though as I had made it myself, and that was not a good idea either. Come half way through the plate I could no longer see due to tears, my nose had well and truly joined the party, and my mouth was now seriously in danger of giving up the fight completely. In a blind panic I managed to find my way to the bathroom and grabbed the first thing that I could – mouthwash. Now I don’t know what goes in a mouthwash, but “Never mix with Chilli Atchar” should be on the label! It basically just became some sort of nuclear event in my mouth. After about 2 hours of a near death experience (for my mouth at least) things began to calm down and I was able to bring a bit of balance back to my day, and a few days and I can begin to taste things again. Still, a lesson learnt at least.

Until I am more settled that is about all the news for now, it doesn’t seem much at all but I think people thought I had disappeared completely and so wanted to put something in writing.

I shall write again before Christmas when I will have a lot more news about the work I am doing and a lot less about cooking disasters!

God Bless,
Russell

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure Russell will be loved and respected there just as he was here in Labrador. We trust and pray that God will use you and protect you during your ministry there, even through all of your harrowing cooking ordeals!

Anonymous said...

I too will hope and pray for Russels work in Cape Town. This part of the world is in a situation with great changes so all good thoughts and supports are required in this work. I know it; I visited SA a few years ago , and my thoughts were; here something really is going to happen within the next years !

Anonymous said...

I was in SA recently .. it surely is a place where many things are going to happen within the next years, so I think we all wish Russel the best and we may all pray for the people of SA .....
Ole Akhoej