Summer Youth Camp 2013 - Our Future

Thursday 3 May 2007

Sr Schloss writes with an update on her work at the St John's fellowship...

In 1988 I took early retirement from my position at Memorial University in order to go back into full time church work. The Board suggested visiting Moravians that are in - or are sent to - hospitals or the prison. Since in this Province, chaplaincy is done on a denominational basis (e.g. Anglicans care for Anglicans, R.C. patients by R.C., etc.) I was warmly welcomed by the various pastoral care committees in all the institutions. It turned out that a number of Moravians also live in the area – either they were married here, had jobs, or special needs (mental health, addictions, or previous convictions.)

On the first Christmas I was asked to conduct a candle service. From this, regular monthly services in a hospital chapel developed. They are publicly announced and open to all. Attendance varies from 2 or 3 to 20. At the candle service, there are usually 30.

From the outset and for several years I took classes at the local Anglican seminary (Queen’s College). The Bible Society invited me to over three terms on the Board. When the local Council of Churches was formed, I became a member of the executive and still am. At every ecumenical or interfaith function, I am invited to represent our church. When the 250th anniversary of the Moravian presence in Labrador was celebrated, the sisters of the Roman Catholic hospital organized a service of Thanksgiving in which nearly all the other denominations participated.

My ordination (in Nain, 1995) opened the doors even wider. Unfortunately, for health reasons, I reluctantly gave up the regular visits to the Penitentiary and the psychiatric hospital. Visits to the acute hospitals (children’s and general) continue as needed. So is the representation on the pastoral care committees and the Council of Churches. Visits elsewhere are also made to outpatients and in crisis (e.g. news comes that a family member has died, often through suicide).

I am deeply grateful to the church for having me called to this service through which I can still serve the Labrador people.

The opportunity and needs are great.

Pray the Lord of the Harvest.

Respectfully submitted,
Sr Brigitte Schloss
St. John’s Fellowship

No comments: